automounting broken lately

Since an apt-get upgrade of about a week ago, automounting of my USB
hard disk (specifically an iRiver H140 MP3 player) has stopped working.
udev loads the drivers and adds /dev/sda, but it's not mounted.

Is this a gnome-volume-manager or hal responsibility?
Has anyone else observed this problem?

I can pmount /media/IHP100 manually, and then see it in Nautilus,
unmount it by right-clicking on the device etc. Just the automounting
stopped working.

I do have an /etc/fstab entry for this device because I need
non-standard vfat options, namely

/dev/sdc1	/media/IHP100	vfat	noauto,user,rw,exec,shortname=mixed	0	0

thanks
Hamish