Re: Gnome 2.12 & Python

Fair enough, all.  I don't have anything against python (per say), I just want to keep as few things on my systems as possible.

Before I explain, I am not trying to cast judgement or start any kind of argument.  I just am explaining why the question came here. (Incidentally, the entire question is moot, since gnome-menu 2.12 is not the same thing (as far as I can tell) as the package was in 2.10, and it is not part of core gnome functionality...

I think that the idea of a spiderweb of dependencies in the core of an operating environment is a bad idea.  A system like Gnome ought, in my opinion, to depend only on X on other *ux core libraries, and on things that it builds itself.  Creating dependencies to multiple coding environments (e.g., Python or hypothetically Java, etc) will create problems as those dependencies change, and as Gnome changes.

I would like to be able to yank out of Debian packages only the core functionality of Gnome.  I don't really want Games or most Widgets and stuff.  I want the Gnome core (which, in a much further investigation) does not have Python in it, and nothing else.  I then will install what I need (if I need things).

Really, though, the decision seems to be at Gnome, not here, though.  So thanks for the answers.

-dave

On 10/29/05, Loïc Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr> wrote:
        Hi,

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005, Dave Loftis wrote:
> I plan on doing this for myself, but I would love to hear any input about this
> as a move for the official gnome branch in Debian?

Debian doesn't want to "branch" GNOME, but tries to stay close to
upstream whenever possible.  Each variation has a maintenance cost.

If you want to rewrite upstream Python modules in C, I suppose you
should work upstream directly, there's nothing Debian specific to that.

   Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>