Gnome 2.12 & Python

I am interested in getting Gnome 2.12 set up (as you might remember me saying earlier), and so I have been doing a bit (lot) of research about how to do this.  I have a couple questions.

I would VERY much like to leave python off my system, but it appears that this is not possible given the current state of packages in the experimental tree.  E.g.: gnome-menus 2.12.0-1 depends on python-gmenu, which requires python.

I am unable to locate these dependencies in the Gnome.org source tree, and would very much like to know if Gnome's dependency on Python is something that we (as Debian Developers) intend on enforcing in the future, or if the original package simply came from the Ubuntu implementation?

Any help would be appreciated.

-dave