Re: do not delete gnome-1

Thomas Bushnell wrote:
>The point here is that the proper thing to do with a package you don't
>want to maintain, but which other Debian packages need, is to *orphan
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>it*.

In case anyone was wondering, I agree.  I'm all in favor of withdrawing
packages which are at the top of their dependency chain, but removing
libpng10 while gdk-imlib1 and a huge tree of packages still depend on it was
not a good idea.  Sadly I only noticed after the fact: while working on a
possible NMU for a completely different package I discovered that its
build-depends were uninstallable, and finally tracked it down to the
disappearance of libpng10.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

This space intentionally left blank.