Re: debian gnome roadmap

        Hi,

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005, Luis M wrote:
> I'd like to see a tutorial/howto on using pkg-gnome from Alioth. That way we
> can do our own "back ports" and at the same time help the Debian Gnome Team
> with our newly acquired wisdom.
>
> What's needed is a simple 1 2 3 like:
>
> 1. svn foo from URL
> 2. go into foo and type bar in a terminal
> 3. get coffee
> 4. dpkg -i ../*.deb
>
> A tutorial for the already initialized debian packager -- who might not be
> familiar with the ideas behind pkg-gnome.
>
> (In case you say something, I have read the README many times with different
> levels of debian packaging expertise and I still don't get it... yes, i know
> i'm dumb).

 I suppose you meant /usr/share/doc/gnome-pkg-tools/README.Debian.gz in
 gnome-pkg-tools.

 It should be obvious if you already used svn-buildpackage which is also
 documented.

 Please don't try building your own GNOME 2.12 packages and messing with
 your system.  We spend an awful lot of time diagnosing bugs caused by
 locally compiled GNOME 2.12 modules, or unofficial packages.

 If you want to have GNOME 2.12 you can run Ubuntu, or you can
 debootstrap it in a chroot.

   Bye,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>