Menus only working sometimes in Gnome 2.10

I'm running a machine with Debian testing on it and I have run into the
wierdest problem.

I normally run gdm and use that to log into a Gnome session. After a
recent update of all Gnome components to 2.10 all my menu entries in the
Application menu (except the Debian menu) have disappeared (plus some
entries from the palne, like "Desktop").

When trying to figure out what was wrong, one thing I did was stop gdm
and start Gnome using the startx command. Lo and behold now everything
works fine, all menu entries are there as well as all the panel items.
If I log out, start gdm and log in again the menu items again are
missing. Close gdm and use startx and all menu items magically reappear.

I've been fiddeling around with the X/gdm startup scripts, but I just
can't seem to fgure out why starting Gnome through gdm or from the
command line (through startx) should give different results.

Any ideas?

-Pelle