Re: debian experimental == ubuntu hoary?

Ar 05/02/2005 am 16:28, ysgrifennodd Robert McQueen:
> Anand Kumria wrote:
> There aren't that many incompatible source code changes that I'm aware
> of - some widgets may be deprecated but will still exist in the new GTK+
> versions. Gaim is buildable still with any version of Gtk+ from 2.0
> onwards, and I think 2.6 is the first release where ifdefs have moved
> from the sense of "make use of improved features where available" to a
> "the old way of doing this is deprecated".

GTK+ has a lovely cast-iron backwards compatibility guarantee, for both
teh API and the ABI. Anything that compiles with 2.0 should compile with
2.n. I think this is also true for the rest of the GNOME 2 platform, or
at least those bits which existed when GNOME 2.0 was released.

However, some packages compile with -DDISABLE_DEPRACATED, which breaks
things when a new GTK+ release depracates parts of the API. This
certainly happened with the 2.2 -> 2.4 transition. However, this sort of
problem is very easily dealt with.

--
Dafydd