Re: Permission for 'dev/pmu'

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > This patch fails as-is, because another patch removes that code fragment.
> >
> > Yes, it was done a bit too fast, Sjoerd pointed this in a later mail
> > and announced he has a correct patch in his local package.
>
> So let's solve this. So, as i understand the current prefered fix is :
>
>   1) if there is no /proc/device-tree/aliases/via-pmu -> we issue a warning.

No.  WThis means that we are on hardware not offering PMU so we issue
nothing and we disable FB_LEVEL features completely.

>   2) if the /dev/pmu device is not existent and/or not writteable
>      -> we issue a warning, and don't use the feature

If /proc/device-tree/aliases/via-pmu is not user-writable, we issue a
warning to syslog to remind the user that appropriate permissions are
needed to access the feature.

>   3) if the /dev/pmu is existent and writteable -> we use the feature

Correct.

> By default, the /dev/pmu is not writteable, so the feature is disabled, so we
> need to add a line in Debian.Readme explaining this, and also the relative
> unsecurity of this approach.

Agreed.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant