Re: Problems with gnome-volume-manager et al in sarge

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 18:24, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> El dom, 19-12-2004 a las 17:10 -0500, James Strandboge escribió:
> [...]
> >
> > However, now all my /dev/dsp* devices are gone, and udev is creating
> > them.  I tried recreating them with:

Obviously I meant *not* creating them...

>  Please, check you have something like this in /dev/snd/
> jose@gimli:~$ ls /dev/snd/
> controlC0  pcmC0D0c   pcmC0D1c   pcmC0D3c   pcmC1D0c   timer
> controlC1  pcmC0D0p   pcmC0D2c   pcmC0D4p   pcmC1D0p
>
>  Those are devices being used by ALSA. /dev/dsp* are the OSS layer
> emulation, which seems that you should have been loaded, as you have
> snd_pcm_oss and pcm_mixer_oss.
>
>  Also, check if you are suffering the problem described in my blog:
> http://www.tribulaciones.org/blog/computers/debian/discover-hotplug_28-11-2004.html
>
>  Hope it helps,

Yes it did.  In fact, when I removed the ide-scsi line from grub's
menu.lst, I accidentally removed my 'pci=noacpi' kernel boot arg,
without which the soundcard doesn't get an irq.  Putting that back in
brought everything back.  Now I am enjoying Utopia.  :)

Thanks,

Jamie