Re: Problems with gnome-volume-manager et al in sarge

El dom, 19-12-2004 a las 17:10 -0500, James Strandboge escribió:
[...]
> However, now all my /dev/dsp* devices are gone, and udev is creating
> them.  I tried recreating them with:
>
> cd /dev; MAKEDEV -v audio
>
> and it shows they are being created, but they are not actually created.
> As such, I have no sound.  esd doesn't start, can't get the mixer going
> in gnome, aumix, alsamixer, etc.  I am using alsa and lsmod shows that
> all the modules are loaded-- I just don't have the device files:
>
> $ sudo lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0           36460  0
> snd_ac97_codec         70020  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_pcm_oss            55048  0
> snd_mixer_oss          20096  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                98728  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              25668  1 snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc         11752  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
> gameport                4704  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_mpu401_uart         7968  1 snd_intel8x0
> snd_rawmidi            25156  1 snd_mpu401_uart
> snd_seq_device          8200  1 snd_rawmidi
> snd                    57156  9
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
> soundcore              10336  1 snd
>
> I looked in /etc/udev and there is stuff in there referencing /dev/dsp,
> etc, but it seems to be for use with devfs.  Is devfs required?  What is
> the best way of handling these sound devices?

 No you don't need neither devfs nor using MAKEDEV when using udev. It
will create devices for you, when modules are properly installed and
devices working fine.

 Please, check you have something like this in /dev/snd/
jose@gimli:~$ ls /dev/snd/
controlC0  pcmC0D0c   pcmC0D1c   pcmC0D3c   pcmC1D0c   timer
controlC1  pcmC0D0p   pcmC0D2c   pcmC0D4p   pcmC1D0p

 Those are devices being used by ALSA. /dev/dsp* are the OSS layer
emulation, which seems that you should have been loaded, as you have
snd_pcm_oss and pcm_mixer_oss.

 Also, check if you are suffering the problem described in my blog:
http://www.tribulaciones.org/blog/computers/debian/discover-hotplug_28-11-2004.html

 Hope it helps,

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo