Re: Silly question: why no gnome in experimental

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 23:57 +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 09:15:10PM +0100, Dallam Wych wrote:
> >On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 05:59:00PM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> >
> >> # apt-get -t experimental install gnome
> >
> >What happens if you issue:
> >apt-get -t experimental install gnome-desktop-environment?
> >Or am I missing your point? :)
>
> Same thing happens.
>
> The point is that I already have the packages gnome and
> gnome-desktop-environment from Sid installed and simply installing it
> again (with the -t experimental argument) won't pull in anything--all
> dependencies are already satisfied. I don't want do do an upgrade, since
> that would pull in much more than I want. AFAICS a gnome (or
> gnome-desktop-environment) package in experimental would pull in all
> Gnome2.8 related packages.
>
> To make things worse, it seems that using aptitude to install all
> upgradable packages in the section gnome will break a few dependencies
> and cause Sid::gnome to be removed... a gnome package in experimental
> would not do that.
>
> I think it'd also be useful if there were a command that would try to do
> an upgrade of a specified package and all its dependencies. Given the
> vastness of Debian I wouldn't be too surprised if such a command
> existed, but I don't know of it, yet.

Try installing this way:

# apt-get install gnome/experimental

Or even better, try to set APT to prefer experimental:

damogar@Cilantro:~$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 101
damogar@Cilantro:~$

Regards,

--
David Moreno Garza <damog@damog.net> | http://www.damog.net/
 GPG 356E16CD - 84F0 E180 8AF6 E8D0 842F  B520 63F3 08DB 356E 16CD