Re: ubuntu modifications

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:01:20AM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 octobre 2004 à 00:16 +0200, Michael Banck a écrit :
> > On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 09:54:12AM -0700, Ryan Lovett wrote:
> > > Is there any chance that Ubuntu Linux's GNOME enhancements will make their
> > > way into Debian? I'm most interested in the panel menu modifications where
> > > they've added a helpful main 'Computer' menu. I realize that some stuff
> > > would have to wait for the GNOME 2.8 migration.
>
> I don't think we should change the panel structure in Debian (there is
> no real reason for Debian to divert from upstream code).

Why does it make sense for Ubuntu to divert from upstream code then?

> > As I understand it, the Ubuntu crowd will propose their modifications to
> > be applied upstream during the GNOME-2.9 cycle. So it would eventually
> > flow back into Debian.
>
> Where do you take this from ?

By 'proposing upstream', I did not mean a formal module proposition, but
rather to point out the modifications and let the respective developers
decide whether they make sense for GNOME proper.

I thought Jeff had talked about this. It has been a while though, maybe
I misunderstood or matters have changed since.

Michael