Re: Installation Report for Sarge

On Do, 2004-08-12 at 23:06 -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 09:16:05AM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>
>  > >  > not if you read section 7.11 in yelp's
>  > >  > user guide.
>  > >
>  > >  You mean this text: "Choose Go -> CD Creator [...]"
>  >
>  > it explains the task in a way that my mother (nearly 70)
>  > would be able to write cd's in gnome (if she were able to
>  > understand english :-( ).
>
>  I'm not questioning that.  But you seem to forget that, for starters,
>  there's no "Go" in spatial mode (the default), so the rest of the
>  instruction, as good as they are, are pretty much useless.

ouch, you're right, working in a german environment i thought the "Orte"
menuitem would be "Go", but it seems the right translation would be
"Places"... my fault...

>  Furthermore, choosing "Help" from nautilus tells me that the chosen
>  location is invalid.  How exactly do I get to section 7.11 of the GNOME
>  User's Guide starting with a fresh desktop?

works flawless here, clicking on help opens yelp with the right
selection (Nautilus File Manager) and "Writing CD's" as the pre last
topic in the left panel. probably dpkg-reconfigure helps ?

>  > it does even explain the "right click on .iso to burn" thing.  so the
>  > only point here is to teach your users to RTFM.
>
>  I'd be glad to do that.  But TFM documents something that's not the
>  default and which is, from my POV, hidden under an obscure menu entry.
>  What exactly did I miss?

nothing, as stated above, i agree that there is a bug in the helpfile
which should get fixed. considering "places" obscure is a matter of
personal taste i would say.... how would you call it ?

>  > gnome has a very informative and usable help system, so why not using
>  > it !
>
>  I do.  I just don't use nautilus, the panel, metacity and some other
>  parts...

oh, i thought we're talking about the common default user who doesn't
know how to drop stuff like this ;-)

ciao
	oli