Re: Installation Report for Sarge

Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com> writes:
>> A typical example is:  If you want to install some package you heard
>> about, type "aptitude install FOO" -- they _love_ that.
>
> Or point them at "Synaptic Package Manager" in the Applications menu,
> and they get to point and click without having to remember the aptitude
> keystrokes when they don't know what they want.

No, the point was that just invoking it from the terminal was in many
cases _easier_ to explain than any of these "package managers"
(synaptic, the last time I used it was particularly weird, but
admittedly that was a long time ago).  This is especially true when one
is doing the explaining over the phone.

> Personally I use the terminal all day in GNOME, but I feel that it
> should be removed as people who don't know what a terminal is will be
> very, very confused by it.

Y'all keep saying "people will get _confused_", but nobody ever actually
says what that means, or what the actual problem is.  Even for people
that are simply too dim/hidebound to ever learn to use a terminal, how
exactly does having that button there confuse them, or make their life
more difficult?  If they click on it accidentally, it's ... a window --
they know about those.  It has a close button -- they know about those
too.  It doesn't look particularly threatening.  Clicking around without
a mouse won't be all that useful, but neither is it harmful or
frightening.  Dollars to donuts that even this particularly skittish
class of users will simply get bored after a while and close the window;
gosh what a horrid blow to their user experience _that_ was!

Having _lots_ of icons with obscure meanigns could be harmful, because
they can obscure the icons are more obvious, but just _one_ is a quite
different story.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen