Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 05:26:58AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Having USB sticks mounted automatically sounds like a task for the
> > kernel maintainers to me (GNOME should just acknowledge it and react).
>
> Why ? The kernel can do that just fine, thanks to hotplug and the underlying
> infrastructure HAL or whatever also uses. It is not usefull without
> gnome/nautilus showing an icon for it though.

AFAIK, GNOME/Nautilus *does* show an icon for mounted volumes. The whole
project utopia stack is about mounting things automatically and making
hardware just work.

So perhaps it was a transient problem with nautilus or a configuration
issue.

> > Nevertheless the GNOME/Freedesktop.org people finally did the work
> > for us, so we should be grateful and not complain about the quality
> > of the packages, IMHO.
>
> Cool. I still don't like the spatial view per default, and the
> splattering of windows it implies. but then, i will almost never use
> nautilus anyway.

I somewhere read that this is supposed/planned to be more easily
configurable in GNOME-2.8, so you might want to check that out, backport
a patch and submit it as a whishlist request, if you think your
customers rely on it. Don't expect the Debian GNOME team to fix things
they don't consider broken, though.

Michael