Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 20:16 +0200, Jens Bech Madsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 19:01 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> > This again. I'm supposed to be getting ready for my own wedding in a day
> > and a half and I'm posting to d-g-g. Bah.
>
> Congratulations.
>
> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 16:55, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Once you have been introduced into the inner cycle of gnome knowledge
> > > and informed of the magic Ctr-L incantation.
> >
> > It's so secret the evil GTK+ maintainers hid it so well, as the first
> > item in the release notes!  What cunning!!
> >
> > Release notes
> > =============
> >
> > * The new GtkFileChooser widget emphasizes simplicity and thus does
> >   not provide a navigation entry by default when opening files.
> >   Experienced command line users will likely want to make heavy use of
> >   the location dialog brought up by the Control-L key shortcut.
> >
> > If people don't read the documentation, then they can't say that they
> > were not told about the shortcut.  Or would you prefer a debconf Note
> > which displays the GTK+ release notes?
>
> You have got to be kidding??? The Gnome developers work so hard to make
> the desktop easy to use and you suggest users should look up release
> notes for a widget toolkit to find out how to open files?
>
> I've been looking through the help documentation as shown in Yelp. I
> couldn't find a place where it obviously belongs. Best guess would be
> the 'Keyboard skills' section, but I guess the fileselector needs its
> own help page which could be accessed with a suitably placed Help button
> in the selector.

Finally some common sense. Please file a bug against the gnome-user-docs
in GNOME bugzilla[1].

Thanks in advance.

[1]: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-user-docs
---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
I'm going to find a new Conan. Arnie's got his work cut out saving
California. -- John Millius