Re: File open dialog: Where is my tab extension

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 19:01 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> This again. I'm supposed to be getting ready for my own wedding in a day
> and a half and I'm posting to d-g-g. Bah.

Congratulations.

> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 16:55, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Once you have been introduced into the inner cycle of gnome knowledge
> > and informed of the magic Ctr-L incantation.
>
> It's so secret the evil GTK+ maintainers hid it so well, as the first
> item in the release notes!  What cunning!!
>
> Release notes
> =============
>
> * The new GtkFileChooser widget emphasizes simplicity and thus does
>   not provide a navigation entry by default when opening files.
>   Experienced command line users will likely want to make heavy use of
>   the location dialog brought up by the Control-L key shortcut.
>
> If people don't read the documentation, then they can't say that they
> were not told about the shortcut.  Or would you prefer a debconf Note
> which displays the GTK+ release notes?

You have got to be kidding??? The Gnome developers work so hard to make
the desktop easy to use and you suggest users should look up release
notes for a widget toolkit to find out how to open files?

I've been looking through the help documentation as shown in Yelp. I
couldn't find a place where it obviously belongs. Best guess would be
the 'Keyboard skills' section, but I guess the fileselector needs its
own help page which could be accessed with a suitably placed Help button
in the selector.

/Jens