Re: Keep non-gnome2.6 package out of the discussion please [was: GNOME 2.6 definitely not ready for unstable]

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 05:57, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> In practice, even once I manually fixed things following Sebastian's e-mail
> (something which an end-user should NEVER be expect to do - it either works
> right out of the box, or it doesn't), it turned out that the newer Rhythmbox has
> lost the ability to play several types of mp3 files and streams.

Regarding playback - that's just a bug.  Software has bugs :)  Please
report them.  I've been squashing a number of them in Rhythmbox and a
few in GStreamer recently myself, and GStreamer's Benjamin Otte in
particular has fixed a lot of mp3 metadata loading and playback problems
that arise with weirder mp3s.  Those fixes should all be in the upcoming
gstreamer-plugins 0.8.2 release.

> Again, I'm quite confident that every bug will eventualy be nailed down, but
> this butched Rhythmbox release makes me really nervous about seeing GNOME 2.6
> enter unstable at _this_ stage.  It just feels like it needs more testing.

Dude, you're running Debian unstable :)

> 1) configuration keys whose values are the same (esdsink is still called esdsink
> in gstreamer 0.8, it just resides in a different subfolder in gconf-editor), but
> who belong to different releases of gstreamer, need to be manually upgraded by
> the user, using arcane tools.  This should have been automatically copied from
> the 0.6 keys, the first time a 0.8.x Rhythmbox version is run.

It's not that easy.  Rhythmbox is just a user of GStreamer library
(where the GConf keys actually are), and more importantly, isn't the
only user.  If several applications blindly copied the 0.6 keys over to
0.8 on upgrading (violating GStreamer's abstraction layer over this),
then you could pretty easily lose your 0.8 configuration.

That said, this definitely is a bug.  It's just not easy to fix.  One
fix would be to have every application/library that changes its GConf
keys in this way set a particular flag for whether the keys have been
migrated or not.  On every startup, check whether the flag is set and if
the old keys exist, migrate them over, then set the flag.

Unfortunately we can't do this now in GStreamer, because then we could
be overwriting keys that you've already changed :/

> 2) Gstreamer itself clearly has lost the ability to playback certain types of
> mp3 files and streams. This cripples Rhythmbox and, if the Gstreamer backend was
> selected, also affects Totem and possibly other applications that are quite
> likely being recompiled to use release 0.8.  This is somewhat more serious,
> because it affects the quality of several end-user applications.

Are you reporting these as bugs upstream?