GNOME 2.8 on ia64 completely hosed?

This may not be the right list...sorry if it isn't...

I did an apt-get dist-upgrade this morning on my ia64
sid machine and GNOME has been completely trashed in
the process of upgrading to 2.8.  It appears that gnome
needs gnome-desktop-environment and gnome-office, but
those in turn depend on gnome-core, and so on, and so
on, and nothing useful remains.  The list of packages
removed and not replaced is quite long.  If I follow
the dependencies far enough, I find that:

  gnome-applets: Depends: gnome-applets-data (= 2.8.1.1-3) but 2.8.1.1-4
is to be installed
  gnome-applets-data: Depends: gnome-applets (= 2.8.1.1-4) but 2.8.1.1-3
is to be installed

There's probably more to it than this, but that's as
far as I had time to investigate today.

Strangely enough, this all worked just fine on i386.

--
Ciao,
al