Re: Upload of GNOME 2.8 to unstable

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 12:58:32PM +0100, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:35:38PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I did the mistake of doing an apt-get upgrade on powerpc yesterday, and since
> > then nothing works, since half the packages where not yet built. I built some,
> > but there seem to be one or the other missing still.
>
> Please be specific. What do you mean with "nothing works"? If "nothing
> works", this is a RC bug and needs to be addressed with depencency

Well, it works now. the problem was after retrospect that i somehow got a lot
of packages removed because they where not yet built on powerpc for 2.8. This
included gnome-panel, gnome-session, libbonobo, libgnomeui, libgnomeui,
galeon, gnome-games, and a whole bunch more. I am at a loss on how this
happened, since i usually just do a apt-get upgrade, which supposedly doesn't
remove stuff.

This is not an RC bug, since i am perfectly aware that the problem was that
the autobuilders didn't catch up after the 2.8 upload to unstable, still it
resulted in a desktop system which wasn't functional, as you could imagine
with all the above stuff missing, but hey, this is unstable, so ...

What i was asking for was simply a list of all the gnome packages, and they
version, so i would have a better time rebuilding them myself, than going
hunting for them myself, and wondering why in hell the external applets aren't
there anymore, and so on.

Anyway, once i catched up that loads of stuff got removed, things where
easier, and thanks to all who helped me out on the gnome-debian irc channel.

> tightening before the first bits of GNOME 2.8 start entering testing.
> One of the conditions of the release team was that even if the migration
> of GNOME 2.8 to testing ended up not being complete, it wouldn't be a
> big disaster. According to you, we're failing somehow...

Well, yes, but it may have been a behind the keyboard error. If i had done an
apt-get dist-upgrade, and said yes to remove all the packages, it would have
made sense, but i really don't think i did this, so i am sort of baffled.

Do you think that creating a clean todays sarge install, with the desktop task
(thus including gnome), and then upgrading it to unstable may sched some light
on this ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther