Re: Euro support in Gnome

Op za, 25-09-2004 te 17:43 -0400, schreef Luis M:
> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 21:42 +0200, Arjan Oosting wrote:
> > Op za, 25-09-2004 te 10:59 -0400, schreef Luis M:
> > > Remember that you can always put a /etc/X11/Xmodmap file and bypass
> > > Gnome completely ;-)
> > Maybe I should give this a try then. But is this file used automatically
> > or should I add some call to xmodmap somewhere in a script or .gnomerc?
> > B.T.W. I use a Debian testing/unstable system with GNOME 2.8 (I like
> > living on the edge ;) )
>
> /etc/X11/Xmodmap gets read by X when it starts up (effectively bypassing
> Gnome).
OK, I tried this and still it doesn't work. But I figured it out!
Somewhere Gnome does it's own setxkbmap call or something and thus
overwrites the setting from XF86Config-4 and Xmodmap, but if you set the
following gconf key to true (as root and mandatory) it stops doing that!

/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb/overrideSettings

I guess this disables the gnome-keyboard-applet but it seems to be
missing unable to configure my keyboard anyway (no way to set the right
alt key to Mode_switch and no way to set more complicated xkb_symbols as
us(pc104euro)+us_intl+inet(microsoftpro) etc.)

But now it works!

Thanks for all the help,

Arjan