Re: GNOME 2.8: Mounts all partitions on logon

Am Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:40:08 +0200 schrieb Sjoerd Simons:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:59:28AM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm seeing a strange regression in GNOME 2.8: On login (probably)
>> g-v-m mount all partitions marked noauto,user in fstab.
>>
>> This keeps repeating itself every time I log out and back in.
>>
>> Can anyone reproduce? Any ideas who is to blame?
>
> This is gnome-volume-manager's doing. There is a bug open for it
> (#271551). This morning i've sent a mail[0] to the utopia mailing for opinions
> how we can limit this behaviour.

Thanks and my apologies for not checking the BTS first.

> It's a feature btw not a regression :)

As long as it cannot be configured, I'd call it a bug/regression. My
understand was that g-v-m is there to manage _removable_ media, i.e. media
that can be removed _without_ a screwdriver.

Anyway, having it manage user-mountable HD partitions could also be a good
thing, as long as you can configure how this should happen. I highly
recommend looking at how BeOS handles this. By default it mounts only BeFS
partitions on bootup. But the preferences menu lets you modify it. One
sensible choice it offers is, remember settings from last time.

Thanks,

Johannes