Re: GNOME 2.8 mimetypes handling (was: gnome 2.8 regressions)

Am Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:40:07 +0200 schrieb Sebastien Bacher:

> Le vendredi 17 septembre 2004 à 11:35 -0700, Sanchez the Cactus a
> écrit :
>> I've gotten gnome 2.8 out of experimental, and noticed the following
>> regressions:
>>
>> 1) logout no longer does the GDM communication thing to allow me to
>> shutdown/reboot from the logout window
>
> this is hack is debian specific and no gnome-session has been uploaded
> in experimental with it, you can keep using the unstable package for
> that for the moment. A gnome-session 2.8 should be uploaded soon.
>

>> 2) mime type handling is messed up:  .ps files open in KGhostView, with no
>> options for anything else, .jpg files open in some KDE image viewer, with the
>> option of opening in 2 other KDE image viewers, but no EOG.  .abw has no
>> associated applications... i'm sure there are more that I haven't encountered
>> yet.
>
> Yes, app need to have a .desktop adapted and to register in the debian,
> that need integration work, will be done.

I hoped this was as easy as adding a line
"MimeType=text/bar;application/foo;" to
/usr/share/applications/foobar.desktop

However, I fail to make it work. E.g I added
MimeType=application/vnd.ms-word;application/x-abiword;application/msword;applic
ation/rtf;application/wordperfect5.1;application/x-applix-word;application/vnd.p
alm;application/x-palm-database;text/abiword;text/plain;text/richtext;text/rtf;t
ext/vnd.wap.wml;

to /usr/share/applications/abiword.desktop

but it does not show any effect.

Can someone tell me what I have missed? Is there anything else required?

Thanks,

Johannes

--
~/.signature under construction