Re: CDROM-drive icon on the desktop

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:13:19AM +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 07:51:44AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > I think this is caused by the fact it is now mounted in /media/cdrom1,
> > > and gnomeVFS doesn't recognize this mount point.
> > >
> > > Backporting some changes from 2.7 should do the trick, otherwise I have
> > > attached a trivial patch. Can anyone care to upload it? I don't have
> > > enough time currently.
> >
> > Notice that the USB devices mounting is also broken. The funny thing though
> > was that i hadnd mounted my USB camera, and gnome showed me a requester about
> > if i would import the photos or not. By saying yes, nothing happened, but this
> > is probably because i don't have any app configured to be launched or
> > something.
>
> If you got that dialog from gvm, the mounting part worked fine. You probably

Well, sure it worked, i mounted it by hand with :

  mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

Very little can go wrong if i do it like that.

> don't have gthumb installed (the default program gvm uses for photos). This is

Indeed, did install it, let's see what happens. ... oh, well, gthumb doesn't
know about my Minolta Dimage Xt :/

> indeed a bug in the gvm package and will be fixed asap :).

Ok. Now, how can i best debug the not automatically mounting part ?

> > I believe that the feature of mounting a ubs stcik or digital camera is a very
> > important feature of gnome, and should hopefully be fixed before the sarge
> > release. And i have set the script to executable from hald, didn't make a
> > change. It does get exectued as a logger message included gets run (multiple
> > time even).
>
> I'm not sure if gvm and hal are going to be in sarge at all. I'm considering
> requesting hal to be removed from sarge.

:/ Speak with the RMs before taking any decision on this though. If you have a
fixed version, maybe it could be considered for inclusion in sarge, don't know
exactly. Well, if not, we may have to rely on a backport of it or something.

> The current hal in sarge is going to break tonight when the new dbus arrives.
> Hal (>= 0.2.97) in unstable is buggy (i'll be uploading a new package tonight
> to fix most things), but it has too many changes to push it to sarge imho. I

Mmm. Ok, altough i personally doubt the wisdom that a package with too many
changes is worse than no package at all.

> can fix the hal in sarge to work with the newer dbus, but currently i'm leaning
> towards just leaving it out and give it some more time to mature for sarge+1.

I believe it is an important feature, and will be sorely missed, especially in
non-geeky environment, where doing a mount /dev/sda1 /mnt is not acceptable.

Friendly,

Sven Luther