Re: Woody Gnome is not stable

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> From: Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org>
> Subject: Re: Woody Gnome is not stable
>
> <quote who="Chipzz">
>
> > [chipzz@box_a]$ export DISPLAY=:0
> > [chipzz@box_a]$ metacity &
> > [chipzz@box_a]$ ssh -X box_b
> > [chipzz@box_b]$ gnome-session
>
> Are you serious? I'm not being sarcastic here, I genuinely want to know.

I was mostly pointing out that strictly speaking it's technically in-
correct to depend on a window manager.

There is one use case though - remember my xterm? ;) It has a built-in
window manager (which can be turned off, but it makes more sense to use
the built-in wm than the one from gnome)

> This sounds to me, on initial exposure, to be thoughtless optimisation for
> an inordinately rare and strange use case. Indeed, there's really no loss
> having metacity installed on the second machine even if you only run the
> gnome-session binary.
>
> I really don't think this is sufficient rationalisation for a bad default.

You're probably right, but from a strict technological point of view
there is no dependency. I think that's what the meta-packages are for,
really.

But a suggest or recommends is probably in place I think.

> - Jeff

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

PS: If you're wondering why I know all this stuff, this is because I
have been using linux for over 5 years, I started with gnome 1.2 on a
486, used enlightenment as a stand-alone wm, etc, and it was not uncom-
mon for me to run apps remotely on a faster PC from someone in the same
dorm.

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz@ULYSSIS.Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."