Re: gnome 2.6 upgrade report (bad news)

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 09:53:54AM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> I have just done the ssame and I have to say it wasn't easy, but I
> suppose it's probably not meant to. I looked quite hard for a task that
> would have all the right dependencies, but I couldn't find anything, so
> I went through and installed the 2.6 versions of each package in one
> fairly large apt-get command ;)

I also looked for a dummy package with the right dependencies, but
couldn't find one.  gnome-desktop-environment unfortunately hasn't been
uploaded in experimental to depend on 2.6 packages, which seems to make
upgrading rather laborious and error-prone.

I see a lot of the results so far as being partly because there isn't a
virtual package triggering all the 2.6 ones already.  Maybe g-d-e could
be version 48.1, 48.2 etc. in experimental, and becoming 49 once it hits
unstable?

I think I finally have everything from experimental, but it's taken me
about 5 lines of unstable and much usage of "dpkg -l *gnome* libg* |
grep ^ii" to hunt them all down.  There's probably a better way though.

PS. legacy bonobos and stuff seem to be a recurring pain on upgrade.  Is
it possible for us to kill them on logout?  That could make upgrades
while running a little more reliable, perhaps (with, presumably, the
cost of making logging in slightly slower).

   Vince

--
    Vincent Ho
loki /at/ internode.on.net

Every complex problem is a simple hierarchy of simple problems.