Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

 > >     1. Using the gconf method isn't good enough because some users
 > >        won't see the changes (because they have made changes
 > >        themselves)
 >
 > No, wrong. I've never said that.

 You _are_ pulling my leg, right?

 Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:08:06 +0100

    First setting a gconf key will be only useful for new user. If you
    change a gconf key in the postinst this will change nothing in users
    configurations and users will lost nothing. The good approach is to
    use update-alternative as the current desktop-base do.

 Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:20:15 +0100

    > If you change the .schema file, the change will be for all users
    > (except those that already changed that specific setting, gconf
    > only store a user preference when it's different from the default
    > one.

    Apparently you don't understand, changing a schema file does
    *nothing* for current configuration. Then tell me what do you want
    to change that ?

    You *can't* change users configurations in postinst script.

 Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:57:35 +0100

    > Certainly you can: Globally setting a key with gconftool does
    > that. You can set either default values (stored in
    > /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults) that affect *any* user who do not
    > yet have a private setting for that very key.

    Then this change nothing. You are trying to customize the desktop in
    the wrong way. What we are talking about is to cutomize the desktop
    for users who have already a configuration. Changing the shemas file
    changes absolutely nothing for my configuration.

 You insist on your idea that the chosen method has to affect not only
 the configuration of existing users, but the configuration that the
 user himself has modified.

 > >     2. Some users are just too stupid to read (sorry to put it so
 > >        blunt, but that's what you are saying, without the PC filter
 > >        on)
 >
 > Then why the control-center exist ? Why GNOME or KDE exist ? Why do
 > ypou think that those projects exist ? Only for the fun ? Are you
 > still living at the stone age with your console ?

 Oh, please, give me a break.  You are the one arguing that users can't
 follow written directions: