Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> writes:

> Em Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:15:37 +0100, Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> escreveu:

[...]

>> > That would work. What does Christian say about this? Christian?
>>
>> I disagree. User don't want to use gnome-session and I'll receive bug
>> report for a desktop-base dependency.
>
> What 'users'? I believe the kind of users you are talking about is not
> the kind of user who has the most potential to using GNOME. I think this
> kind of decision is the kind that benefits that small amount of obsessive
> geeks who can't bear a dependency of 12kb if it's 'unecessary'.

Not really 12Kb but 500Kb and the package will be more big if you add more
pictures.

[...]

> That's to say that making desktop-base a "preference" will make things
> quite more complicated for the Debian Desktop project, and will have
> no real benefits for the user. Let's make our design decisions and tag
> the bugs 'wontfix'.

First setting a gconf key will be only useful for new user. If you
change a gconf key in the postinst this will change nothing in users
configurations and users will lost nothing. The good approach is to use
update-alternative as the current desktop-base do.

Christian