Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 16:16, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 02:40:18PM +0200, Jarno Gassenbauer wrote:
> > > No, when i say you press the logout button, it is the button in the
> > > gnome menu or panel. then, before the dialog appears you make the first
> > > query, and then print the info in the dialog.
> >
> > Ooops, sorry.
> >
> > > Or better yet, you grey out all the options while you do this first
> > > query, and when you receive the anser from GDM, you print the number of
> > > other connected folk, and ungrey the options.
> >
> > The user can click on the power button on the computer case if the
> > the logout radio button on the dialog is grey. I'd propose that thing
> > to be grey only if gdm/gnome-session _cannot_ shut down.
>
> Mmm, possibly. Maybe it should not be shown at all if the user _cannot_
> shutdown.

Agreed. Currently the buttons will not show up if neither the
gdm-talk nor the Red Hat style script-calls work.

gdm-talk does not work if it was disabled at compile time or
if no connection to GDM could be established.

Red Hat style script-calls does not work if it was disabled
at compile time or if one of the scripts was not found/accessible/
authorized/whatever.

If the communication with GDM shows that some buttons cannot work,
it's already too late to remove them. I think, resizing the dialog
(make smaller) might give ugly side effects with the 'iris', that
is the background darkening that moved from the screen borders
to the center. I assume the iris won't be redrawn if the dialog
shrinks...

(I didn't want the dialog to have to wait for GDM's capability report.
Can be changed, though.)

Best regards,
Jarno

PS: The suspend button will only show up if gdm-talk works. Its
not implemented in Red Hat's solution.