Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

> > The logout dialog could have an entry telling you how many other users
> > currently are logged in (or easier to code: how many other sessions are
> > open). To have it updated in real time you need a persistent connection,
> > or GDM had to connect to gnome-session. Or you have to do polling - but
> > polling is even more evil than connecting to gnome-session.
>
> That seems nice, but assuredly GDM would know about this (except for the
> console sessions, that is). Why not do it like that :
>
>   You press the logout button.
>
>   Gnome-session or whatever asks GDM if there are other folk connected.
>
>   The response get printed in the dialog.

Hm. How to name it?
"Are you sure that you are sure you want to log out?"

Well, renaming the first dialog from "Are you sure you want to log out"
to something more sensible would be easy in case we go for a second
dialog. So the above question is not really an issue.

But still, I don't like the idea of a second dialog. As I tried to
explain in another message, it would be needed in any case if the
command is sent at okay time. If gdm's response is not being displayed
you won't be sure that the machine is really going down.

I too think that cancelling the user's choice if he clicks 'Cancel' is
the right thing. Up to now I just didn't care.

And if gnome-session backs up the old state and restores it on 'Cancel'?
Gnome-session could wait for GDM's acknowledge until the logout dialog
comes up again. Then it can display an error message there if the last
'Cancel' failed. And we wouldn't need no hidden timeout setting in
GConf.

The error/warning message could also come up in any case the logout
action variable in GDM differs from gnome-session's backup variable.
That is, not only if restoring failed.
(The variable in GDM can be changed with the gdm-talk command line tool)

The user sees the warning and can immediately press a radio button to
correct it.

But please, please, pretty please no second dialog.

Best regards,
Jarno