Re: ORBit 2.8.1 uploaded to experimental

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:54:51AM +0200, Sebastian Rittau wrote:

> Unfortunately this resolved only part of the problem. When starting
> gnome-settings-daemon I still get errors:
>
>   ** (gnome-settings-daemon:1405): WARNING **: Extremely strange, strange
>   object directories (0)registered with the activation context
>
>   ** (gnome-settings-daemon:1405): WARNING **: Encountered problems
>   registering the settings daemon with bonobo-activation. Clients may not
>   detect that the settings daemon is already running.
>
> The first error is produces by bonobo-activation-init.c. It seems that
> the number of directories returned by
> Bonobo_ActivationContext__get_directories() is 0, which
> bonobo-activation expects it to be 1.

Upon investigating further, I came to the conclusion that all these
problems are caused by bonobo-activation using various linc_ functions.
Since bonobo-activation was integrated into libbonobo in GNOME 2.4 this
problem is not evident if GNOME 2.4 is built from scratch. Now, the
solution that I propose for Debian is to change all instances of calling
linc_ functions in bonobo-activation to link_ (the name of the
internalized linc functions in ORBit 2.8) and rebuild bonobo-activation
against ORBit 2.8. I will try to do this and provide a patch for
bonobo-activation if it works.

 - Sebastian