Re: ORBit 2.8.1 uploaded to experimental

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:54:40PM -0500, Jerry Haltom wrote:

> bonobo-activation-something, in a function named get_tmpdir(). There is
> a fall back condition there if tmpdir isn't properly set by linc, set it
> manually to (/tmp/orbit-%s, username). I just made this action the
> default (removed the linc attempt). This was obviously not the proper
> way to fix it, but I didn't know how best to go about it givin my
> limited understanding of the situation. It works now though.

For now, I have uploaded a new version of linc (1.0.3-4) to unstable and
a new version of ORBit2 (2.8.1-2) to experimental. The latter conflicts
with all older linc version. The new linc version works around the
tmpdir issue by initializing the tmpdir itself in linc_get_tmpdir() if
it hasn't been initialized before. You could try this new linc version
and check whether your workaround is still necessary.

Unfortunately this resolved only part of the problem. When starting
gnome-settings-daemon I still get errors:

  ** (gnome-settings-daemon:1405): WARNING **: Extremely strange, strange
  object directories (0)registered with the activation context

  ** (gnome-settings-daemon:1405): WARNING **: Encountered problems
  registering the settings daemon with bonobo-activation. Clients may not
  detect that the settings daemon is already running.

The first error is produces by bonobo-activation-init.c. It seems that
the number of directories returned by
Bonobo_ActivationContext__get_directories() is 0, which
bonobo-activation expects it to be 1.

> Any clue how this bit me?

I would love to know myself.

 - Sebastian