Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:06:39PM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:41:37PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Please dont. This would be a huge step backward, and mark the
> > abandonment of galeon in favour of epiphany. It is not a political
> > statement that i would like Debian doing.
> Why would we include epiphany in sarge? It is not at all mature, has not
> had wide spread testing, and is not considered stable upstream. It is
> also not yet in sarge. I know they're planning a 1.0 release soon, but
> to get that and have plenty of time in unstable and testing for people
> to find the bugs (in features which have been added over the past few
> weeks) does not seem reasonable with a hopefull stable release date of
> just over 3 months.

Ok, so there will be no sane web browser in sarge, just mozilla, lynx
and maybe konqueror ?

> I think Debian has a clear 'political message', one which makes Debian
> what it is - Debian stable is really stable. This should be the
> overriding thought in our minds when working as Debian developers.

And you want to drop galeon because of 1 RC bug which, from the BTS,
is only one day old ? Surelly i misunderstand something here.

> > I (and many other people) have been using galeon 1.3 for a long time
> > now, and it is no more crashy than other applications which are in
> > debian and are scheduled to ship with sarge.
> Perhaps we need to make the RC bug list bigger then!
> Crashy should mean RC bug.
> Even if you can't give information about why it crashes, if an
> application crashes regularly, an RC bug should be filed so that people
> know that there's a problem.

Sure, rhythmbox is mostly unusable for me, and i filled RC bugs against
it. They got fixed in a later release (well sort of, now they only crash
on one song, but i am in discussion with them).

And anyway, the idea is to fix the RC bus, not drop the package because
of it. We would also release sarge without packages, and there would be
no RC bug, the stablest release ever, but hardly useful or usable.

Now, please tell us what exactly you have problems with with galeon ?
Apart from this 'it is a CVS snapshot, so we will not release it'. Or
maybe you are putting pressure for upstream to do a release ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther