Re: galeon (not) in Debian stable

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 05:21:06PM +0100, Mark Howard wrote:
> Hi,
>   The Debian release manager announced recently that the time has come to
> prepare for a stable release. At present we have cvs snapshots of galeon
> in Sid. Most people agree this is not yet production quality;
> unfortnately there isn't enough time for this situation to change.
>
> Another option would be to include galeon 1.2 in Debian. This would mean
> maintaining a gtk1.2 version of mozilla; reinvestigating many (150+?)
> reports which were closed when galeon1.3 was moved into the Debian
> package; having a browser which has not been tested thoroughly with
> recently mozilla builds (everyone uses galeon1.3); and having a gnome
> browser which is very out of date and not consistent with the rest of
> the Desktop.
> I am not interested in maintaining a galeon-1.2 package and do not
> personally believe it should be done. If any other developers wish to do
> this (and, of course, mozilla-gtk1.2, mozilla-X-gtk1.2 packages), feel
> free. (would the ftpmasters allow two versions of mozilla?)
>
> My next upload of galeon will be to the experimental branch of Debian as
> per the requests of the release manager. I will then request the removal
> of galeon packages from sarge and sid. Unfortunately this will mean that
> all galeon builds will be manual until the buildd system is extended
> for experimental. I will only build i386 packages - hopefully developers
> with other platforms will build galeon on them.

Please dont. This would be a huge step backward, and mark the
abandonment of galeon in favour of epiphany. It is not a political
statement that i would like Debian doing.

I (and many other people) have been using galeon 1.3 for a long time
now, and it is no more crashy than other applications which are in
debian and are scheduled to ship with sarge.

Friendly,

Sven Luther