Re: shutdown from within gnome

James Strandboge <jstrand1@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 20:17, Christian Marillat wrote:

[...]

>> Not really insteresting if you need to type the root password in gksu.
>
> That is but one solution.  You can add whatever authentication mechanism
> you want into the shutdown and reboot scripts.  They could read a file
> for allowed users, do a pam check, use sudo, whatever.  The idea is to
> allow more than just redhat users the chance to have shutdown and reboot
> options.  The patch lets system admins customize it, or distributions to
> develop a policy for it.
>
> All that said, I think using gksu is an interesting fallback mechanism--
> eg try an automatic authentication, but if that doesn't work, use gksu.

I really want to know why people are losing their time with that. I'm
not talking about the portability code, but to the shutdown a la
windows. For now with the current system we need 3 mouse clicks to
shutdown your computer :

1) Click on log out
2) Click on the system gdm icon
3) Click OK

A la window step 2 isn't needed. Well, what's wrong ? I can admit that
with the old gdm version, this functionality was easy (need to go in
the menu), but now...

Another advice ?

Christian