Re: Gnome 2.2 in testing

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:39:39PM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
> John McCutchan <ttb@tentacle.dhs.org> writes:
> > What is holding gnome 2.2 back from testing?
>
> [...]
>
> Apart from what has been said already - the Control Center is still
> held back by buggy XScreenSaver (which is not even part of Gnome, but
> the version of it in testing still depends on the old
> gnomecc/libcapplet0).
>
> The XScreenSaver maintainer doesn't seem to care too much. I asked him
> weeks ago tag the RC bugs 'sid sarge', at least, to make it clear to
> the testing scripts that both versions are equally buggy, thus having
> the newer version in testing wouldn't break anything.

I don't think that works, and I believe it's deliberate. (I.e. people
should fix bugs rather than trying to convince the testing scripts to
ignore them.)

> But somehow, he didn't even manage to do that.
>
> Christian, in case you read this: Could you, as a last resort, request
> libcapplet0 to be removed from testing?

I think you must mean xscreensaver, not libcapplet0. libcapplet0 will
automatically disappear once nothing in testing depends on it any more,
and its presence isn't doing any harm. If the RM wanted to force
control-center through and hang the consequences, he could already do
so.

But, in any case, removing xscreensaver isn't sufficient; pilot-link is
the difficult part, and for that you need to arrange for kdelibs to be
ready for testing (which it actually nearly is now, but we need to wait
for glibc 2.3.2). Also, somebody needs to fix gnome-pim (#201219) and
linpqa (#203053), arrange for gnome-pilot to build on arm, arrange for
gnome-pilot-conduits to build on arm and sparc, and arrange for
sylpheed-claws to build on mips and sparc.

Cheers,