GDK_USE_XFT causes apps to hang for a while before starting

as of today, gnome2 apps are hanging for a while before starting.  running
strace on them shows a bunch of font-related stuff happening, I can attach a
log if that would be helpful.  I can avoid this hangup if I set GDK_USE_XFT to
0, but then i get ugly non-xft fonts.  HOwever, if I run as root, everything
works fine, even with GDK_USE_XFT set to 1.

any ideas?

THanks,
Joe