Re: Making debug packages from main GNOME packages

Chipzz <chipzz@ULYSSIS.Org> writes:

> Some packages have an option to compile with extra warnings - glib is
> one of those IIRC. We should probably have a seperate procedure for
> those packages.

A full backtrace from gdb is probably more usefull than some extra
warnings, I think we should have a -gdb for these files too.

> Second, is this the same method as redhat uses to ship their debug
> info?
> I just looked at the man-page of dh_strip, and AFAICT, it just makes an
> unstripped copy of the library in /usr/lib/debug, while, if I understand
> correctly, RedHat actually strips the debug info out of the file and
> saves it in a seperate file.

from the dh_strip manpage:

"The command "dh_strip --dbg-package=libfoo" will make dh_strip save the
debugging symbols for usr/lib/libfoo.so.0 into
usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libfoo.so.0 in the package build directory for
libfoo-dbg."

"dh_strip save the debugging symbols" ... I'm not sure. Is it the full
file or just the symbol as for Redhat ?

Do you know how Redhat makes the debug packages ?

> Is their a debian policy wrt debug info, and what do you think is the
> best approach?

I don't know if there is a policy about this, but providing -dbg
packages is usefull to track bug, so I think we need them ... the
question is to know how to do that. Having -dbg packages is the best way
to have the same version of package and package-dbg and to keep an easy
install.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher