Re: Making debug packages from main GNOME packages

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Sebastien Bacher wrote:

> From: Sebastien Bacher <seb128@debian.org>
> Subject: Making debug packages from main GNOME packages
>

> Hi,
>
> I think we should make a debug version of the main GNOME's packages
> (like the libgtk2.0-dbg). It could be very usefull for the GNOME's
> upstreams to track down the bugs.
>
> Make a package-dbg is pretty easy, we just have to use
> "dh_strip --dbg-package=package".
>
> I don't know which packages should have a -dbg exactly, but according to
> some GNOME's devels these ones could be a good start:
>
> - gnome-panel
> - gnome-vfs2
> - libgnomeui
>
> So, anybody has a comment/advice on that ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sebastien Bacher

Some packages have an option to compile with extra warnings - glib is
one of those IIRC. We should probably have a seperate procedure for
those packages.

Second, is this the same method as redhat uses to ship their debug info?
I just looked at the man-page of dh_strip, and AFAICT, it just makes an
unstripped copy of the library in /usr/lib/debug, while, if I understand
correctly, RedHat actually strips the debug info out of the file and
saves it in a seperate file.
Is their a debian policy wrt debug info, and what do you think is the
best approach?

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout