gnome2 and .bash_profile

I have a question about how bash and gnome2 interact.

I'm sure in the past, adding something (e.g. setting an environment
variable) to .bash_profile was sufficient for whatever it was to show up
in all the places I use bash. At the moment however, this does not seem
to be true within gnome-terminal.

I'm sure things must have changed, because I have lines like
export GDK_USE_XFT=1

in there, which implies that at some point that was relevant.

So the question is, was I hallucinating, and if not, was this change
deliberate? What is the best way around it? At first I thought it was
something I could change in gnome-terminal, but I realised it is more of
a session thing. Could I just add .bash_profile to my session?

Rob

--
Robert Hart <enxrah@nottingham.ac.uk>
University of Nottingham