Re: gnome and kde at the same time

Am Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:50:09 +0100 schrieb Andrew Lau:

> Dear Brendan,
>
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 12:26:06PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
>> Is it possible to have gnome and kde installed at the same time.
>
> Yes.
>
>> Actually, what I would like is gdm on one virtual console and kdm on
>> anther VC, and possibly even xdm on another VC.
>
> That defeats the whole purpose of a display manager! What you really
> should be doing is placing your customised startup scripts under
> /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions if you're using gdm for example. kdm also supports
> user selectable xsessions as well.

The problem is that when you launch a KDE session from gdm, the shutdown
and reboot options are unavailable from the logout screen, because these
depend on KDM as much as Jarno's modified gnome-session that offers the
same functionality depends on (a patched version of) gdm. Unless there is
a common standard for this feature, both desktops need their
respective display manager to be fully functional.

Thanks,

Johannes