Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> writes:

> El mar, 04-11-2003 a las 10:08, Christian Marillat escribió:
>> Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> writes:

[...]

>> First setting a gconf key will be only useful for new user. If you
>> change a gconf key in the postinst this will change nothing in users
>> configurations and users will lost nothing. The good approach is to use
>> update-alternative as the current desktop-base do.
>
> If you change the .schema file, the change will be for all users (except
> those that already changed that specific setting, gconf only store a
> user preference when it's different from the default one.
>
> IMHO the update-alternative is only useful if the package does not give
> you a native way to change the filename, and gnome-session does that.

Apparently you don't understand, changing a schema file does *nothing*
for current configuration. Then tell me what do you want to change that ?

You *can't* change users configurations in postinst script.

> I don't understand why you want block "the correct way to do this
> change" (TM) only because some users wants non standard configurations.
> gnome-panel needs gnome-session so it and its applets works as expected.
> If they don't want gnome-session, they should not install the
> gnome-panel's applets.

I block nothing, I just try to explain to you that your are doing the
wrong thingh.

Christian