Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

El mar, 04-11-2003 a las 10:08, Christian Marillat escribió:
> Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> writes:
[...]
> > That's to say that making desktop-base a "preference" will make things
> > quite more complicated for the Debian Desktop project, and will have
> > no real benefits for the user. Let's make our design decisions and tag
> > the bugs 'wontfix'.
>
> First setting a gconf key will be only useful for new user. If you
> change a gconf key in the postinst this will change nothing in users
> configurations and users will lost nothing. The good approach is to use
> update-alternative as the current desktop-base do.

If you change the .schema file, the change will be for all users (except
those that already changed that specific setting, gconf only store a
user preference when it's different from the default one.

IMHO the update-alternative is only useful if the package does not give
you a native way to change the filename, and gnome-session does that.

I don't understand why you want block "the correct way to do this
change" (TM) only because some users wants non standard configurations.
gnome-panel needs gnome-session so it and its applets works as expected.
If they don't want gnome-session, they should not install the
gnome-panel's applets.

> Christian

Cheers.

--