Bits from the GNOME Team

Hi all,

Some news on the GNOME Packaging Team :

Now the project is open on alioth:
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-gnome/

At the moment the team has 10 members, you can find the list here:
http://alioth.debian.org/project/memberlist.php?group_id=1316

If you're not listed in the team members for the moment, and if you want
help the team, let me know by sending a mail.

Ross Burton has just added his "Debian GNOME Packaging Policy" in the
doc manager:
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/1316/18/gnome-policy-20030502-1.html

The doc will be soon available on the CVS/SVN server. It'll be great to
update/complete it, so all contributions are welcome ;-)

You can also found a first list of packages for the team, based on the
replies to my last mail, here:
http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/1316/19/liste.html

Now we need to discuss some points before starting the work:

1- Maintainer/Uploaders fields :
--------------------------------

After having talked with some of you, I think the best format is:

Maintainer: the maintainer
Uploaders: the team, [complete list of the members]

In this way :

- The package keeps his maintainer (who know the best the package, the
                                    upstreams, etc ..)
- We have a QA page for the team
- All members can upload with their name.

2- Team entry :
---------------

Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>

The list is already open on alioth.

3- Bugs reports :
-----------------

Each maintainer will subscribe
"pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org" to the PTS for his
packages, so the list will receive all bugs reports.

4- CVS/SVN usage :
------------------

Akira TAGOH has proposed to create a module for each source-package (the
module name is the name of the source package) with the debian dir
included.  We could include the whole package for the native ones and
doc for example.

5- CVS/SVN usage :
------------------

All changes in the CVS/SVN tree have to be reported in the changelog. We
could set an temporary changelog number between two version.

ie: a 1.2-1working2 version for the changes from 1.2-1 to 1.2-2.

6- Lists usage :
----------------

All the general discussions will stay on the debian-gtk-gnome list,
which is the best place to talk about gtk/gnome and debian.

The list on alioth will be reserved to the activy on the packages (bugs
reports, ...).

7- First uploads :
------------------

As soon as the uploader will be defined (ie: if allbody agree with the
format, and after setting a first list of members to add) we'll start
the upload.

Each maintainer have to make the first upload for his packages (that's
the best way to have a first upload without problems). Adding the debian
dir in the CVS/SVN space in the same time could be a good idea.

Andrew Lau has already uploaded tsclient with the team as uploaders.

That's all for the moment. All the comments/advices on all these points are
welcome ;-)

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher