Re: gnome 2.4

Evan Martin <martine@danga.com> writes:

[...]

> So why not start on the packaging process and use an unofficial apt
> repository until the experimental/unstable/testing decisions are made?
> It seems like everyone would win...

Since the maintainer of the core Debian Gnome packages does not seem to
have any intentions of uploading any Gnome 2.4 components into unstable
or into experimental in the near future, and has not publicly accepted
any of the offers made here to do NMUs into unstable, I think that doing
what Evan proposes, to setup an unofficial repository somewhere, is a
good option (and maybe the only one that we have at this time.)

What if those that have proposed to do NMUs just upload to an unofficial
repository? To address the issue of porting to other architectures those
with access to architectures other than i386 could build and upload
packages to the unofficial repository. I can build packages for the
Sparc, and I know some can build packages for PowerPC.

A repository at people.debian.org/~someuser/gnome2.4 might be a good
starting point.

Cheers,

Eloy.-