Re: gnome 2.4

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:58:02PM +0200, Mateusz Papiernik wrote:
> > Debian-release-related issues aside, it seems clear to me that:
> >  - many people are interested in using GNOME 2.4;
> >  - some people are interested in packaging GNOME 2.4;
> >  - some people think it will take some time to make good 2.4 packages.
> >
> > So why not start on the packaging process and use an unofficial apt
> > repository until the experimental/unstable/testing decisions are made?
> > It seems like everyone would win...
>
> I absolutely agree. Some of Debian Maintainers can start packaging
> GNOME 2.4, and publish it on e.g. their p.d.o/~user homepages, and
> anybody who would like to use them, will do. In debian there is one
> thing that I really don't like - time needed to enter some big packages
> to unstable (Remember: It's *un*stable - so I think it can be quicker...),
> eg. XFree 4.3, KDE 3 (how long were we waiting for it?), GNOME 2,

This is not the point here, there is really no difference between a
private repository and experimental. None get autobuilt, and it seems
that, with some proper apt invocation, you won't pull the whole lot of
experimental with you, like you used to do when gnome 2.0 was being
prepared in experimental. (BTW, if someone knows on some documentation
on the finer uses of experimental, or a simlpe HOWTO/FAQ like thingy,
that would be real nice to publish).

Friendly,

Sven Luther