Re: Gnome 2.4 in sid

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:35:49PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Johannes Rohr">

> > > That's my worst fear. :-)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > But that (sarge with 1.4) is highly unlikely.
> >
> > Large parts of Gnome 2.2 already _have_ made their way into testing. So
> > for your fear to come true, this would have to be reversed.
> >
> > It's quite probably that this reversal would be no less problematic than
> > completing the transition to Gnome 2.x, given that in the meantime the
> > default compiler has changed.
> >
> > I don't think that any of those in charge of managing the release would
> > seriously consider this option.
>
> But you haven't covered the very serious issue here: sarge can't even ship
> as is. Why the temptation to introduce even more problems (the possibility
> of 2.4 piecemeal migrating) instead of ensuring a shippable sarge by letting
> 2.2 migrate down completely?

As said in another mail. Why not upload the missing piece of 2.2 to
testing-proposed-updates (provided they are not buggy per see, just hold
up by glibc and co) and then go forward by uploading 2.4 to sid, and
making sure the 2.4 will not enter sarge until we think it ready by
filling bogus bug report or something such.

Friendly,

Sven luther