Re: help with gconftool and schema installations.

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

[...]

> 2) If we install the schemas in the postinst, should we also uninstall
> them in the postrm or something such ?

[...]

I wonder if gconf actually provides a means to unregister keys. I get
the impression that it tends to become overwhelmed with
orphaned/obsolete keys just like the windoze registry.

Aditionally, unregistering keys unconditionally might even be
dangerous, in cases where several packages potentially modify the same
keys, like e.g. totem and nautilus-media. Both register themselves as
thumbnailers for the same mime types.

So if I remove the gconf keys that it had registered while
uninstalling nautilus-media, I would potentially affect totem, which
may have modified these keys if it was installed later than
nautilus-media.

It is also possible that a sysadmin has made his/her own changes to
the gconf registry.

So, unregistering keys on deinstall would be O.K. only if the keys
haven't been changed from their initial values after the schemas file
was installed.

The easies way to test this would probably be to compare the values
from the schemas file with those in the gconf registry.

Johannes