Re: is gnome-session/esd supposed to respect /etc/esound/esd.conf

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 01:39, Jon Colverson wrote:
> Andreas Leitner wrote:
> > but for some reason, if i enable 'enable sound server startup' from the
> > gnome2 prefs, esd is started with the option '-nobeeps'.
> >
> > Is esd (started via gnome-session) supposed to respect
> > /etc/esound/esd.conf?
> >
> > If yes, why doesn't it work on my setup?
> > If no, is there another way to tune esd then?
>
> Sorry if this is obvious, but you can disable the 'enable sound server
> startup' option and add esd as a non-session managed program with
> whatever options you want (Desktop Preferences/Advanced/Sessions/Startup
> Programs).

But as soon as i disable 'enable sound server startup' it seems i cannot
configure (or even enable) the gnome sound events.

But I have tried running esd from an rc.d script at startup and leaving
the 'enable sound server startup' checked. This seems to work (and it
seems no second sound server is started), but I have only tried this on
a weird multi computer setup, so I cannot tell for sure (multi-computer
setup: esd was started on the machine the x server is running, but
gnome-session ran on a remote computer - so it might be possible
gnome-session tried to start another esd, but failed because that
computer does not have sound modules compiled)

regards,
Andreas