is gnome-session/esd supposed to respect /etc/esound/esd.conf

Hi,

I tried to fine tune esound on my system (I am using gnome2 from
unstable). This is what my /etc/esound/esd.conf
--
[esd]
auto_spawn=0

Is esd (started via gnome-session) supposed to respect
/etc/esound/esd.conf?

If yes, why doesn't it work on my setup?
If no, is there another way to tune esd then?

many thanks in advance,
Andreas